When it comes to selling your home in Utah, it’s essential to set realistic expectations regarding the timeline. Most people think about the amount of time their house might sit on the market, but the total time to sell a home involves much more than that. Here’s a look at what kind of a timeline you’ll be looking at when you’re ready to sell your Salt Lake City home.
Two Months Before Listing
Very few homes are ready to sell without putting any work into them. So a couple of months before you actively start selling your home, focus on the following tasks:
- Declutter and start cutting down the amount of stuff in your home. Tackling this process early will help simplify every other task.
- Fix anything that’s broken. This includes touching up paint, patching holes in the walls, and replacing burned-out lightbulbs.
- Take note of anything too expensive or unrealistic to fix, and be sure to disclose it to the buyer when the time comes. Hiding major problems is illegal and can throw a wrench into a sale.
- Consider what upgrades you’d like to make if any. Minor improvements like fresh paint, new light fixtures, and a little landscaping can really improve the value of your home and how quickly it sells. But this isn’t the time to spend thousands of dollars on a kitchen remodel.
One Month Before Listing
At this point, your home should be in good condition with nothing broken and no big eyesores. Start getting more specific in your preparation with these steps:
- Find a real estate agent and start discussing your plans with them. They will help you look at comparable homes to determine a sale price and develop a selling strategy.
- Deep clean your home, or consider hiring a professional cleaning crew to do it for you. Grime can deter buyers even in the most beautiful of houses. Remember to clean up things like the garage, the patio, and the yard, too.
- Start staging your home. You don’t have to buy all-new furniture or decor, but a few new pieces can help elevate a room. Consider a new rug, some fresh throw pillows, and a new table centerpiece. Find a new welcome mat for the front door and finish the look with a season wreath. A few small touches can make a big difference in how buyers perceive your home.
Listing, Negotiating, and Closing
The amount of time this final step of selling a house takes can vary significantly. On average, it takes about 55-70 days to sell a home in the U.S. That includes time spent waiting for an offer, the negotiations, and the closing period.
Sell Your Home Faster With Utah Sell Now
Are you thinking about selling your home but don’t have months to wait? Utah Sell Now offers the fastest and easiest way to sell your house in Salt Lake City, Utah, and the surrounding areas, including Layton, West Valley City, and Sandy. We’ll purchase your home in any condition for cash, and can close in well under a month. Contact us today to get a cash offer on your home!